6.08.2009

I read a book without pictures!




Ok, so I feel like I've been taken over by some force that is not myself and haven't really read any non-picture books in while, minus the occasional kid-free vactaion, or during Christmas break while we were staying at my parents' or in-laws' house. Part of the reason for this is if I start reading I have a hard time putting it down. Many-a-night I've looked over at the clock and realized it is WAAAY past my bedtime, but I just HAVE to finish one more chapter. An hour later, I'm still reading. Anyway, I've decided to jump on the bandwagon and join a little non-enrichment book group with some ladies in my ward. One of the books we're supposed to read over the next six weeks in Left To Tell. I finished it today and it was so good. So, if you are looking for a good read, I definitely recommend it. I didn't think I would really care for it, as it is about the Rwandan Holocaust, but I found myself not being able to put it down. I was enthralled, I was angry, I was sad, but most of all I was amazed at the strength and endurance of this woman. The one thing I kept having to remind myself as I was picturing things in my mind is that this wasn't set in 40's or 50's, but the mid- to late 90's. It is insane to me that things like this still happen, and that there are people strong enough to survive it. So, while not your typical "light summer read," this is definitely a book I would recommend. If I were a book re-reader (which I am not) this one would be on my list to read again.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Ashley! I'm reading those books too...well, the Book Thief...haven't started Left to Tell. Did you get your copy from the library or did you have it? Can I borrow it? or check it out right after you take it back?

Ashley said...

If all goes as planned, I will be taking it back to the library during story time Thursday. :)